Monday 26 June 2006

Rambahaddur

"Shaab Chai!". The day at office begins with this welcome salutation. Rambahaddur, our tea-boy, thus serves the beverage, calling for my attention. Mind you, he makes it well. Albiet, after year long experience of ICH brand tea - one, that has a world unique aroma of Sambhar and the flavor of Rassam blended in it - every tea satifies my taste buds.

Quite quiet, Rambahaddur is a humble chap. Speaks only when he serves the beverage or when you prod him explictily otherwise. According to my boss, he classifies into the category of "The Silent Worker" (Why do all Management Cadre people need to coin a term for every day life?). Diligent in his work, he knows what to do and when to do it.

Rambahaddur works as a utility personnel in my organization. In day time, he is with us in the office, serving us beverages, soups, breakfasts and food. In the evening, he cooks food at the Recreation facility in the township. While we work for eight hours a day, in AC chambers, this chap woks for more than half of the day, mostly, in front of the stove. At the end of the day, when we all, the executive staff of the company, feel exhausted after long working hours of sitting job, this man greets us with a pervasive grin. Honestly, I derive an inspiration from this being. After enduring such a hardship if he can afford to smile, why on earth can't I? Always troubled with mundane issues like Taxes, Promotions, Career Goals, and what not, it seems we have lost the purpose of life. Rambahaddur, on the contrary, simply remembers it. He just smiles and that wipes off all the weariness of the daunting tasks he is engaged with.

Once I asked him, where he belongs to. "Shaab, Nepal Se.", he replied with his usual grin. Then it suddenly struck me that he calls me 'Shaab' over the desi 'Saab'. I mumbelled a Tut, acknowledging my ignorance. Then came the de reguire of the formal questionare, "Where in Nepal?", "I know Pashupatinath shrine. I went there, as tourist. Did you?", et cetra. He answered them all, rather shyly, with his grin gradually muating to a simper. Following that, I asked him how often he visits home? The reply was rather astounding.

This chap, who is hardly 22 or so, said that he has not been to his abode since last three and half years. Still, he could manage to flaunt a radiant, joyous face. I was bowled, undoubtably. I mused, 'Look at yourself, you moron! You start feeling anxiety and what not, in just a couple of weeks if you are seperated from the family. Do you stand to his heart?' The answer was an emphatic, No.

May be I am more qualified than Rambahaddur, but he is stronger, more determined and happier. I guess, he believes in personifying the name. Kudos to him. :)

No comments: