Monday 4 September 2006

The Shift

Husshhh! After much procastrination, I shifted to the new abode. Big it is. Spacious it is. Bright and Well-Ventilated it is. The old residence seems more like an adobe commensurate to the newer abode.

The process started a couple of weeks before. I started the hunt for a desparate owner who could rent his space to me. Luckily, my erstwhile boss made a few quick calls and arranged a meeting with a desparado. The meeting went fine. He handedover the keys for my perusal of the space. I did peruse, along with my recently discovered Master. Master appreciated my selection. Agog, I called the owner. The deal clicked.

Next what? Set up the house. What makes the flat a house was a dauting question. Parents never let me feel the heat of such questions. Burnt and Burdened, I strolled in the mall. Then I called my Master for guidance. Master, as always, gave an unambiguous solution. Following His advice I entered the Big Bazaar. Shopped till I dropped, comprising everthing from pin to pan and string to stove. The teller handed over a bill of Rs.4097. My heart thumped. 20% of the salary gone, just like that? Dhatt Tere Ki. Anyways, I loaded the purchase in the rickshaw and flew back to house.

In the evening, I went to the local market to buy other ancillaries. Bucket, containers, mugs, mattersses, mats, doormats, broom, bread, butter, knives, spoons, plates...OMG! It was a costly affair. Both on the pocket as well as the poor head.

This saturday, I decided to finally relocate to the house. So, begin with the packing of my stuff. The suitcases got full. The handbags got full. Still, my luggage kept peeking out of the wardrobe. God knows from where I got that much stuff. This way or that, it had to be packed. So, I converted a few polypags into new handbags. At the end of the tiring exercise of packing, I found a total of 18 something of pacakages. One each of shoes, books, magzines, house accesories, snacks and fast food, et cetra. It took a full quarter of an hour to bring the whole stuff down at the reception. Following that, I hailed a rickshaw. After loading the entire stuff, the rickshaw driver once gazed at me; top to bottom and then at the luggage. Then I think, he gasped, which I safely obliviated. Raising my nose a tad upwards, I kicked the bike and issued a fiat to the driver to follow my steed.

After stuffing the house, I started putting things in place. The kitchen was the first one to get dressed up. Then was my supposititious bedroom and the wardrobe. The last one was the washroom. As the rooms got dressed up, the bags started loosing weight. The equation at the end of the tiresome endeavour was, empty bags = set house = exhausted me. Being a forced optimist though (courtsey one year management training), I rephrased the last part of the equation as elated me.

Elated or Exhausted, the body needs food. So, next was the hunt for the Roti. I had Kapada on me and Makaan was there in place. Hungry and haunted, I dropped inside an Itailian Food Provider; Pizza Hut. Had a munch on a Steamed Mushroom Pasta and Hot Veggie Lover Pan Pizza and along with the gulps of Appy Fizz. What a sumptutous way to celebrate House Warming. Hah!

Tired but content I returned to the house. The boozy eyes searched for the supposed bed of doubled-up matresses. Sporting a big yawn, I collapsed into the bed and khhrrr....

Lets see, when the house becomes a home. Image

No comments: